The Alberta Foundation for the Arts (AFA) provides funding for approved professional authors to serve as writers-in-residence in Alberta schools. You can apply for the Artists and Education project grant to bring me in to your school for the activities described below. Depending on the number of students participating, choose a residency for one to thirty days.
The annual deadline is April 1 of each year. Please apply as early as possible to ensure adequate time to manage the application requirements.
Residency Activities Offered
Information texts make up a large part of the content adults read and write, yet students are typically taught fiction more than nonfiction writing. Joan’s residencies help students build effective writing skills that will serve them throughout their lives.
Residencies aim to generate excitement about writing, while producing finished projects and meeting related curricula requirements. Students learn to express themselves clearly and logically. The importance of rough drafts, self-editing, and revision are emphasized. Workshops encourage students to develop and recognize their creative abilities and take pride in their work.
· Kindergarten, Grades 1 and 2: Make a Fiction/Non-fiction Classroom Book
· Grade 3-6: Write a newspaper article (Joan sets up school newspaper)
· Junior or Senior High Residency: Grades 7 –12: Write Newspaper Editorials
· Junior or Senior High Residency: Grades 7 –12: Write and broadcast on your New In-School Radio Station (Joan brings transmitter and microphone.)
· Any grade:
- Creativity Building – coming up with story ideas
- Write an Alphabet Book
- How to Juggle
For more information:
- contact me
- contact the Arts Development Consultant with the Alberta Foundation Arts Branch: 780.427.9968. Toll-free calls can be made by first dialing 310.0000.